Bringing home a new baby is a joyful time for expectant parents. You’ve planned for months, attending child birth classes, reading books galore, shopping for gadgets and clothing, and taking in baby care tips from friends and family. You may have overlooked one step however – preparing your pet for baby’s arrival.
At Purr’n Pooch Pet Resorts, we’ve enjoyed teaching and watching our clients and two generations of Palazzo children enjoy healthy and beautiful bonds with their pets. The dogs, cats, horses and children all understand that it’s important to respect one another, in and outside of the home environment. If you do not take the basic steps necessary to prepare your pet(s) for the family’s new bundle of joy, your dog or cat may exhibit unwanted behavior and anxiety, causing stress in the home.
On Saturday, October 12 from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. join Purr’n Pooch Pet Resort’s Founder Dick Palazzo and Trainer Karen Fazio as they share tips and strategies for preparing your pet for baby’s arrival. Let’s create a joyful homecoming for the entire family, two and four legged. We look forward to having you join us!
• Importance of obedience training for dogs of all ages
• Baby and dog-proofing the home
• How to effectively and safely introduce baby-related items safely to an environment with a family pet
• The variety of ways in which dogs are likely to react if not prepared in advance of baby’s arrival
• Changing sleeping and attention schedules and how they may affect household pets
• How to cope with the loss of sleep
• Myths and truths about presenting a child to a pet for sniffing
• What to do with the pet the day baby arrives
• How to manage visitors and pet interactions
• The truths and myths surrounding alpha leaders in the home
• Preparing a pet for frantic schedules and stressed parents
• How to prevent reactivity to wheels and other fast-moving objects
• Safety protocols for baby-dog interactions