Many people are unaware that the Fourth of July is the most dangerous holiday for pets. According to national statistics, animal control officials across the country see a 30-60% increase in lost pets each year between July 4th and 6th. In fact, July 5th is one of the busiest days of the year for shelters. Thousands of pets are lost each holiday due to the big bangs of those spectacular but scary fireworks displays. These unexpected and loud noises put our pets in a spooked state of confusion causing them to run away from home by escaping out windows or fences.
Sadly, many cats and dogs are never returned to their owners because they lack identification like an i.d. tag or chip. Identification is key to being reunited safely with your pet.
There are, however, some things you can do to ensure your pet is relaxed and entertained during the fireworks. Read more about them on our post, “Five Ways to Keep Pets Safe During Fireworks”. The article highlights pet games as well as treats, toys and accessories. Available at our retail stores, the Thundershirt, for example, can help ease anxiety in pets and distract them from those big bangs and have them concentrating more on big fun with the family.
Most importantly, it’s vital that you know the days and times when your community is going to host its celebrations so you can either protect your pet in the comfort of your home or make accommodations to board your dog or cat at your local pet care facility.
Here’s a list of popular Jersey Shore fireworks displays to prepare you and your pet for fireworks all summer long:
- Atlantic Highlands Fireworks: July 4 at 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Point Pleasant Beach Fireworks: July 3 at 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Manasquan Fireworks & More: July 3 at 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Ocean Township Fireworks: July 3 at 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Brick Summerfest: July 3 at 7:00 pm – July 4 at 10:00 pm
- Asbury Park Fireworks: July 4 at 9:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Bradley Beach Fireworks, Dance & Swim: July 4 at 9:30 pm – 10:00 pm
- Long Branch NJ Oceanfest & Fireworks: July 4 at 10:45 am – 10:30 pm
- West Long Branch Fireworks: July 4 at 9:00 pm – 10:30 pm
- Wildwood 4th of July: July 4 at 11:00 am – 11:00 pm
- Seaside Heights Fireworks: July 4 at 9:30 pm – 10:00 pm
- Ocean City July 4th: July 4 at 9:00 am – 10:00 pm
- LBI Fireworks: July 4 at 9:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- Atlantic City Fireworks: July 4 at 9:30 pm – 11:00 pm
- Wildwood has fireworks on the Beach every Friday night in July and August.
- Point Pleasant offers fireworks displays each Thursday in July and August.
- Seaside Heights has Wednesday fireworks from June through September.
- Asbury Park has a fireworks show each Wednesday night of the summer.
From all of us at Purr’n Pooch, we wish you a very happy and safe Fourth of July together, pets and people. The Jersey Shore has so many fun activities to offer and although fireworks may be exciting for people, we must remember that the Fourth and other fireworks celebrations throughout the summer are fearful times for pets. Take precautions, be safe, and enjoy.